Whether you are living it up on the waters of Cape Cod, getting your education on over in Cambridge or living the city life in Boston, you must ensure that you are doing it while covered. Driving in Massachusetts requires that you have auto insurance in place. It is just the safe way to do things, and whether you realize it or not you will certainly enjoy the financial protection that is offered should you be involved in an automobile accident. There are penalties if you disobey the auto insurance laws, and you certainly do not want to face those consequences.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
To be o the good side of the law, make sure that you have an auto insurance policy in place that includes, at a minimum, the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily Injury: $20,000/ $40,000
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $8,000
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist: $20,000/ $40,000
- Property Damage: $5,000
Because these amounts are very low, you may choose to add higher amounts if you would like. However, the amounts listed above are the minimum amounts you can obtain to comply with the laws in the state.
Optional Car Insurance in Massachusetts
In addition to the stare required coverage, drivers in the state can add optional car insurance to their policy for even greater protection. Some of the types of optional car insurance that you might be interested in includes:
- Rental Car coverage
- Towing and Labor
Factors Affacting Massachusetts Car Insurance Rates
There are several factors used to determine the cost of your auto insurance policy. Those factors include:
- Age – Drivers under 27 years old will often pay more for their coverage
- Gender –Typically It is men who spend more for their coverage
- Marital Status – If you are married, consider yourself lucky as far as the cost of your insurance policy is concerned.
- Amount of Coverage – The amount of coverage you add to your policy will affect the cost.
- Type of Vehicle –Some vehicles are costlier to insure than others. If you have a car that is on the most stolen list) (like the Honda Accord) or if you drive a sports or luxury automobile, expect to pay more.
- Where you live – People who live in Boston and Cambridge will pay more than drivers who live in Concord or Taunton.
- Occupation – Sometimes your occupation can affect the cost of your coverage.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Discounts
If you are like most Massachusetts residents, saving money is always enjoyable, especially when it comes time to pay those ‘extra’ expenses such as car insurance. Luckily it is easy to save money with Massachusetts car insurance thanks to the many different discounts available. It is always in your best interest to enquire of available discounts before making any purchase. You can save anywhere from 5% to 40%, which is remarkable savings any way that you look at it. Some of the discounts you might want to take advantage of include:
- Multi-Car discounts
- Multi-Policy discounts
- Loyal Customer discounts
- Safe Driver discounts
- Good Student discounts
- Paid in Full discounts
Massachusetts Car Insurance Quick Facts
Proof of car insurance is required to register a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts. Unlike most other states that require you to show an insurance card or other proof of coverage, Massachusetts uses only the vehicle registration of verify your policy and compliance with state laws.
The average cost of an insurance policy in the state is $1,113. Your rate can be higher or lower than this amount based on the factors listed above and others. Drive safely, obey driving laws and refrain from getting tickets or having accidents to keep your car insurance rates low.