South Dakota is a quiet state, with Mt. Rushmore its claim to fame. Presidential faces carved into the 7,000+ foot tall mountain are quite impressive, and perhaps more so than an actual climb of the mountain. But if you aren’t obeying all of the laws in the state, there’s a good chance the President’s smiles will turn upside down and stare at you in disbelief. If you plan to operate a vehicle in South Dakota, also plan to obtain car insurance. State laws require that all drivers carry minimum amounts of liability insurance on their vehicles at all times. The insurance keeps the roads safer and the burden less should you be involved in an accident. Penalties are in place for drivers that choose to ignore the car insurance laws of the state. It is always in your best interest to drive with the insurance coverage and leave those worries behind.
South Dakota Car Insurance Requirements
- To comply with the South Dakota car insurance requirements you must carry a policy that includes the following amounts of coverage:
- Bodily Injury: $25,000 / $50,000
- Property Damage: $25,000
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist: $25,000 / $50,000
Your state required insurance policy covers the costs of medical bills and damages to the other party involved in the accident only. It will not cover any of your costs. If you want further protection optional coverage is available for purchase.
Optional Car Insurance in South Dakota
The following types of optional auto insurance are available for purchase in South Dakota. Talk to your insurance agent about these optional insurance policies if you want full protection when you are driving.
- Towing & Labor
- Med Pay
- Auto Loan & Lease
Factors Affecting South Dakota Car Insurance Rates
Your South Dakota auto insurance rates won’t be the same as Aunt Martha’s rates because there are many factors used to determine your costs. Those factors include:
- Driving Record: Steer clear of tickets and avoid accidents to receive the lowest priced insurance
- Type of Vehicle being insured: Drive a sports or luxury automobile? Your premiums will be more than drivers with basic vehicles.
- Where you live: Your South Dakota city affects your insurance rates. Bigger cities have bigger rates!
- Marital Status
- Educational Background
Insurance Record: Do you have a history of driving without insurance? Had lapses in your coverage? These things have a negative effect on the cost of your insurance coverage.
Car Insurance Discounts in South Dakota
Rather than complain about the rates of your South Dakota car insurance, do something about the price that you pay. There are many available discounts that make it possible to cut your costs and save a ton of cash. Here are a few of the most popular discounts that you should ask your insurance agent about:
- Multi-Car discount: More than one car could mean nice discounts
- Multi-Policy discount: If you have a home, life, or other additional policy with the same insurance company, expect bundle savings.
- Loyal Customer discount: Stay with a company for more than one year and be rewarded with a discount, typically 10 to 20%.
- Safe Driver discount: Available for drivers who stay accident and ticket free.
- Good Student discount: Students who maintain a B average can receive discounts.
- These are just some of the discounts offered. Do not miss out on your ticket to savings! It is the only kind of ticket you ever want to receive in the state.
South Dakota Car Insurance Quick Facts
Proof of insurance coverage must be kept inside of your vehicle at all times. You must present this proof when requested by a law enforcement officer or after you’ve been involved in an automobile accident. Proof of insurance includes an insurance card or a copy of your insurance policy.
Failure to maintain the state required auto insurance will result in a slew of penalties. Those penalties include:
- $100 fine
- 30 days incarceration
- Driver’s license suspension for period of one year
- SR-22 Insurance filing